Category: Construction


Advertisements

After looking at the comment made on my previous post about the lining up of texts I changed the text allignment to “Justify all lines”, this can be seen in one of the image below. However doing this made some of the text too spread out so I looked through a couple magazines, namely Kerrang! and MOJO, and saw that actually having a rough edge on the right wasn’t too much of a problem and was quite common.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I am happy with my magazine and feel that I have managed to make it look reasonably professional. I have gone through and checked spellings and made sure that none of it is hyphenated and I have checked the spacing so that nothing is too close or too far and that everything lines up and that nothing is unintentionally “on the wonk”.

I noticed that some of the text is hyphenated, which is shouldn’t be. I also noticed that I had a different Issue number on my cover page to the issue number on my contents page. Also on the front cover I changed Max Milly James to just Max James but I didn’t for the contents page. I have now corrected these mistakes.

A slight change that I made to the contents page was the size of some of the sub text, not a major change but a notable one.

After looking at the overall view of the Cover Page I slightly shifted some of the text on the right so that it lined up neatly. I think this looks better as most cover pages of magazines have text that line up. One more tweak that I need to make is the text about the website, I want to  move that up slightly so that it isn’t lying completely on the bottom of the page. In realistic terms it would mean that it is less likely to be cut off during printing if there is a slight error that cuts of the bottom text. By moving it up a little bit it means that it is more visible as well as reducing the risk of it being sliced off in printing.

After looking at the exported picture of the cover page I noticed that the image was pixilated because it was tilted slightly while in Indesign, so I went onto Photoshop and tilted it on there then placed it band into Indesign so that the image was smooth. I also adjusted some font sizes and shifted some of the text on the right hand side of the page.

After proof reading my story I decided to change part of the introduction paragraph from “In the email setting up this interview to discuss their tour with the hard rocking group Don” to “In the email setting up this interview to discuss life on tour with the hard rocking group Don and some of their crazy stage performances.” I changed this because after re-reading the story I realised that I didn’t actually put that much about the tour in.

After looking at the actual text on the spread it looks as if there is not a lot going on, to change this I added more text and changed the number of columns to 4 as this made the overall spread look more professional. Also the NME double page spread that I have looked at has 4 columns.

I have made quite a large change to this edit, I have re-arranged the  list of band names and made them smaller, I have also changed the fonts as well as moving the Amos story to the right side of the page. I have also moved the website address to the right and changed the font to black as I think it stood out too much in red, but in black it works better as it is subtle but you can still see it. Also after looking closer at MOJO magazine’s cover I saw that it had a small amount of text talking about if there is no CD to contact the newsagent, I liked this feature so added it to my cover page as well in a small size 8 grey font. This is so that it is readable but not a main feature of the page but is merely small print. I think by adding this it has made my magazine more professional. The font that I have changed my text to is Commerce SF for the larger text and Diamond Heavy SF for the sub text. I have changed to these fonts as I think they are more suitable for my target group as they are quite masculine fonts. I have also tilted the image and made it larger so that it all fits on the page. I have also changed the text of “Inferno’s Top 10 Albums you MUST own!” to “10 Albums you MUST own!” as this is snappier and has a more suitable mode of address.